StatCounter

March 30, 2006

Faith and Substance

I've heard "faith" described as a derivative of the Hebrew word emunah, a word with connotations of "steadiness, steadfastness, firmness, reliability, and the ability to not waver." If I have faith in something, it means that I stand unwavering in my belief. My ability to do this is evidence of the Spirit of God working in my life; perhaps my capacity to have stronger and stronger faith comes as a result of maturation and exercise (of course, not forgetting that my ability to have faith ultimately comes from God).

The more logical I become, the more I realize that some questions will never be answered by logic. The more irritated with "theological" people I become, the more I realize that I am no better or worse than they are.

We all make invisible boxes limiting the mysteries of the universe to such things that we are able to perceive and explain. We're all closed-minded in our own way. We all nitpick over stupid things, and even worse, we judge those around us for doing the same thing with issues that don't bother us the same way.

Maybe there aren't always explanations. Maybe there don't always need to be. And maybe that's ok. Maybe it's enough to take some things on faith, with a steady and unwavering belief that God is bigger than we are...and that it's a good thing.

No comments: