StatCounter

March 28, 2006

My Life's Soundtrack

Well, Nicole has inspired me to make a list of the songs that would be playing if my life were to have a soundtrack. I suppose the reality is that I have a song in my head pretty much every waking minute of the day, so I could never name them all. And in retrospect, the list below really doesn't display the diversity of my musical tastes. (In other words, don't judge my musical sensibilities by these songs!) Yet I had to start somewhere. So, below is a brief list of songs that have had a meaningful impact on my life, in a more or less chronological order since sometime in high school.

Soundtrack of My Life

(1) "One Sweet Day" performed by Mariah Carey and Boyz to Men
(2) "I Will Be Free" written and performed by Cindy Morgan
(3) "I Love You, Goodbye" performed by Celine Dion
(4) "Take My Life" traditional hymn
(5) "Oklahoma" from Oklahoma
(6) "Nightswimming" performed by REM
(7) "Never Weather Beaten Sail" performed by Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge
(8) "Your Eyes" from Rent
(9) "Lux Aeterna" composed by Morten Lauridsen
(10) "I Desire You" composed and performed by Jared Anderson
(11) "Every Season" composed and performed by Nichole Nordeman
(12) "Angel" performed by Sarah McLachlan
(13) "Beautiful Day" performed by U2
(14) "Shine Through Me" composed and performed by Marty Urwin
(15) "Bill" from Show Boat
(16) "Skyline Pigeon" composed and performed by Elton John
(17) "Hear Us From Heaven" composed by Jared Anderson and performed by Ross Parsley
(18) "When It Don't Come Easy" composed and performed by Patty Griffin

7 comments:

Coley said...

Why am I not surprised that "Oklahoma" is on your sountrack?

And, oh my gosh, I forgot about "Bill"!!! I'm adding that to mine! I'm still looking for him!

Jana Swartwood said...

Oh my gosh, I thought I saw our mystery man ("Bill" from a couple years ago) in the AC the other day! But it wasn't him. And, of course, I keep looking for "hypothetical" Bill. Even though I'm not sure I want to find him. Because is it really "Bill" that we're looking for?

Speaking of which, I've got to start writing that novel!

And what's wrong with "Oklahoma"? It fits and it's a fun song.

Christie said...

I would love to make a soundtrack for my life, but the thought of narrowing it down is simply overwhelming to me. Maybe I can tackle it over the summer when I have more free time. Where do you begin? Do you start with a huge list and narrow it down? Do you think about it chronologically? Help!

Coley said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Oklahoma! I just knew you would use it, that's all.

Did I ever tell you that "Bill" came to my church in Tulsa once? I nearly choked when I saw him. Sigh . . . what a dreamboat!

On some level, I am looking for "hypothetical" Bill as described in the line "Then along came Bill, who's not the type at all. You'd meet him on the street
And never notice him; his form and face, his manly grace are not the kind that you would find in a statue, and I can't explain, it's surely not his brain that makes me thrill. I love him because he's wonderful, because he's just my Bill." I mean, who wouldn't want a "Bill" like that? Someone you could love for no other reason then they are just wonderful, despite any faults that might lead one to believe otherwise. Someone who takes you by surprise because you've been searching for something that isn't real, but the "along comes Bill" who is wonderful and makes you love him without even knowing why. I hope for that type of love to come to me someday.

And yes, my friend, you do need to start writing that novel! You are so talented and need to share it!

amcorrea said...

I adore Patty Griffin!

Jana Swartwood said...

Christie: I had the same dilemma. Do you choose songs you like, or songs that have impacted you, or songs that you'd like playing during your life? I finally decided that I would just break it down chronologically, giving a snapshot of the songs that have been most meaningful to me in various seasons of my life. Obviously, there could be a zillion more, especially if you differentiated between classical and...not classical. But the songs on my list are songs that just do something to me every time I hear them--either because they are connected to a past event/person or because they are so evocative in and of themselves that I am moved when I experience them.

Nicole: It always amazes me that you and I have such completely opposite tastes in men. "Bill" never really did it for me. But he was fun to observe. :) As for a real "Bill," it's just hard to believe that he really could exist. I'd almost rather tell myself he doesn't exist and then let myself be pleasantly surprised.

Ana Maria: Isn't she great? I just started listening to Patty Griffin recently, but I'm already quite impressed.

Jana Swartwood said...

Addendum: I think I'd also add "Take Me For Longing" by Allison Krauss and Union Station.