StatCounter

March 23, 2006

A Unique Voice

What is it about Philip Glass? I can hear the first measure of a piece on my Internet radio, and instantaneously, I will know that it is his work. I may never have heard the piece before in my life, but the musical voice is so distinctively his that it can be no other.

His stuff is cool, but even beyond that, the thing about him that impresses me is that his is a unique voice in the musical world. He stands out. His chords, his rhythms...everything. I've never studied him, so I can't say much about him that is intelligent, but I am constantly floored by his individuality as an artist. Even if my only means of evaluating him is personal observation.

It's so easy to let your voice become someone else's...or for that matter, to think your artistic voice is original when it is, in actuality, an unintentional mirror of voices past. I'm always amazed, and more than a little impressed, by artists who break outside these constraints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your description is soooo girly.

who the heck is phillip glass?

Jana Swartwood said...

Hello, I am a GIRL! I'm curious, though.... What about my description is "girly"?

Philip Glass is a 20th-century composer. You should check him out; you just might like him.