StatCounter

February 04, 2008

Just Stuff, I Guess

So, I'm [not] writing a paper right now, which is why I'm here providing you with semi-conversational things about my day to read as you surf the web. In sum:

It bothers me when people patronizingly ask me, "So, are you a student?" Yes, I'm a student. I'm dressed in a skirt and heels and I'm walking in from the staff parking lot at 8 o'clock in the morning. What gave me away? (The fact that technically, I am taking masters classes, and so technically, I am a student is not the point here. The point is, I have worked here for over 7 years and you have met me before in a professional context and you should know I am not a student.)

I have nothing interesting to say in the book critique that I am supposed to be writing. The book was not altogether amazing. I would prefer, rather, to write a book critique over The Golden Compass. I think it would be altogether much more interesting. And critical. I have never quite understood the concept of writing a book critique over a book written by the instructor of the course. Even if it's only your TA reading the papers. It's kind of limiting. I don't want to diss the professor and have it get back to him. I really don't. But I have critical things to say about the book and if my critique is to be at all, well, critical, then I have a feeling I am going to have to focus on those things. At least, since iambic pentameter is not a viable option.

Despite the previous two items, I am not at all grumpy today. I am quite overjoyed by the beautiful weather and the hope that spring's lovely breath might kiss my face once more. (Even if snow might be forecast for tomorrow.)

Many of you know that this blog was named for a line in T. S. Eliot's poem "Ash-Wednesday." I fully anticipate rereading this poem on Wednesday in commemoration of the day. It's good. You should read it, too.

Ok, I know, I know, I know. I should write the paper. Fine, then. Enough procrastinating. I'll catch you all sometime soon.

Yes, and I still don't know who I'm voting for in tomorrow's electon. Did I tell you that I decided to actually become a card-carrying Republican? I'm really not sure how I feel about that, especially now. If I had gone Democrat, at least it would have been easier to know who to vote for....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re. "What gave me away?"
Well, it could be that buoyant, cheerful countenance that you carry about with you, even after working there for 7 years. (Me, they ask how long I've been working here and haven't I been here long enough to retire.) It could be the optimistic, un-jaded attitude, which leads people to underestimate the strength and depth of the first-class mind lurking underneath. Or, if the interlocutor is a person of perception, they might understand that you will always be a student, because you will always see to it that you're learning something. (I know your kind, and am glad of it.) Of course, it could also be that the person was just clueless, but that wouldn't provide the excuse for this comment, now would it?

Jana Swartwood said...

We definitely prefer your suppositions.

amcorrea said...

Will you still critique The Golden Compass? I want to reread the series, along with Lewis' preface and a copy of Milton. Also Blake.

Man, what a senior paper THAT could've been...!

Jana Swartwood said...

I do still plan to write about The Golden Compass, but I don't feel like I'm in a place to do it justice until I finish the entire trilogy (I just recently started Book III.)

I want to pull in Milton and Blake (gosh, that's daunting!), but I also maybe want to look at the Book of Enoch (a Jewish apocalyptic work). I think there are definitely some connections there. Pullman has definitely been schooled in the area of theology.

There's an article in one of the Inklings journals in the library (I forget if it's Mythlore or VII). It's on the series and Paradise Lost. So, that should be interesting to read, too, once I'm ready for it.

You're right...it would have been an amazing senior paper. But at least in my case, I can say with certainty that I wasn't ready to write that paper back then.

We'll see what happens now. :)