StatCounter

February 26, 2006

Rent Scenes

I picked up the special edition of Rent this weekend, with great anticipation that among the deleted scenes would be my favorites: "Halloween" and "Goodbye, Love." And they were there. So tonight I watched them, almost hoping that they were done somewhat under par, to give the director a legitimate excuse for cutting them out of the theatrical version.

Alas (or not alas, depending on your perspective), they were brilliant, breathtaking, and provacative. And I am led to ask once more, as I did in the theater, why cut the most poignant songs in the entire musical from the film? The director's rationale was that the songs didn't work with the pacing of the movie. And I don't deny it.

But here's my problem with that. Rent is a highly artistic production. Its beauty and its depth are not conveyed as much on first viewing; they deepen as your experience deepens and as you have occasion to give thought to the ideas put forth in the show. Loving Rent was a gradual process for me, as I imagine it has been for many people over the years. Why should we expect that non-initiated fans would fall in love with the movie any more quickly? The movie was made for people who already love Rent. The fact that the film conveyed any measure of the show's inherent beauty and depth (and it did a lot) means the filmakers achieved a very difficult victory. But it is, at heart, a musical. And there are going to be key dramatic elements that, when cut from the show, leave a terrible gap in the story.

I believe some of the finest acting was portrayed in those deleted scenes. I also believe that had those scenes been in the theatrical cut, the film would not have gotten such bad reviews because those scenes would have lent a coherence to the film where coherence was lacking. They would have established a framework for so many things!

Anyway, I just had to say that. Stay tuned for more on chickens (I haven't forgotten).

3 comments:

Coley said...

What can I say about the deleted scenes that you haven't already said? Yes, they should have been in the movie. At least "Halloween" and "Goodbye Love," if nothing else. I agree that since it is such an artistic and profound piece of musical theatre (let's ignore the fact that it is film, because it began as theatre) that there should be no need to try to "please the masses." After all, as you so wonderfully pointed out, this movie was for those who are already fans of the musical!

Christie said...

While I am a huge fan of the musical and the music, I will be returning the DVD that my husband so sweetly purchased for me. (It's the thought that counts, right?) Maybe it's because I know I will soon be responsible for the moral education of my child, or maybe it's because I just can't stand the sight of two women or two men making out. (That's actually why I didn't see Brokeback Mountain, despite the rave reviews.)
It's not that I'm a homophobe--I have a family member who is gay and we all still love him (while disagreeing with his choices), however, I can't justify owning a movie that has that kind of content. So, while I love the story and the music and the way they made the movie, sadly, I can't justify owning it.

Jana Swartwood said...

You know, it took me years to purchase the Rent CDs. Years of loving the musical but not being sure whether I wanted to own it (a) because of the influence its ideas (and language) might have on me and (b) because I wasn't sure how I'd react if someone came into my home, saw it, and judged me for it. I also thought of whether I'd want to own it when I had kids, but since that seems a little bit down the road yet, it didn't so much affect my decision.

I finally came to the conclusion that I was ok letting myself own it. When I listen to it (or now, watch it), I find amazing moral lessons or poignant statements on life in the simplest of lines. I find that my own moral education is actually improved by my study of the show. But then, I'm weird that way.

I totally respect your decision not to own it. (I, too, get grossed out by the same-gender kissing.) And if I had a child on the way, I imagine I'd view things a little differently, too. So, all that to say that I totally understand and support your decision, but I'm also totally glad I decided to own it.