StatCounter

April 27, 2006

In Today's Bookish News

I am so excited because I got a free book today, and it looks good! I had just gotten back into my office this afternoon, and John stopped by to tell Jennifer and me that there was a guy out by the Praying Hands handing out free copies of some book. So, having to go outside to run another errand anyway, I decided to take the long way back. I just caught the guy as he was leaving (apparently adminstration wanted to read the book first before letting him stand on campus property and distribute it--and I can understand that because we really do get a lot of crazies). But I'm so glad I made it over there. The book is called The Secret Message of Jesus and it's by Brian McLaren. It looks fascinating, especially once I determined that it wasn't a Gnostic approach to the Gospels. I mean, you never know what it's going to be theologically till you dive in, but I'm interested to see what it's all about. It's still a little way down on my reading list (after finishing Toni Morrison's Beloved and starting Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe), but I am just so stoked that I have it and it looks good and--best of all--it was free!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world where people gave you free books all the time? Hmm. That's good motivation to become a famous writer as soon as possible; once you're famous, everyone gives you free things because they want you to endorse their stuff. There might be something to this....

2 comments:

Coley said...

Okay, why did people never hand out free books when I was there?

Yeah, that's the world I want to live in! Free books, all the time! Becoming a famous writer as soon as possible is sounding nice! (Always sounded nice, but that's beside the point.) Well, I'd better start expanding that short story into a novel! (As soon as I learn Irish Gaelic, it'll be a breeze!)

Jana Swartwood said...

It's never a good sign when you have to learn a new language before you can start writing your book. :)