StatCounter

June 17, 2006

On Being Prepared And Not Prepared

I sit in my office, waiting, gazing out the window into the blackness. (It's only black because the windows are tinted, but no matter.) Outside rages a storm. Inside I sit, trying to prompt myself to actually get up, log off from the computer, and head out to my car. But the wind is whipping rain in every direction, and honestly, I'm a little surprised there's no water coming in through the office window cracks. And I just don't have the motivation to venture out in it...yet.

This morning, I awoke to a thunderstorm. Unplugged computer and keyboard and fell back to sleep. Later this morning, I turned on the weather channel. Saw that scattered storms were forecast for the day and evening. Thought to myself, Perhaps I shouldn't make up those missed hours today. Thought also, I certainly don't want any more hail damage on my car. Came anyway. Never thought, Oh, I should grab my umbrella.

I just finished a book that lamented the overuse of italics. Am reconsidering italics above. Ok. Have reconsidered and have decided italics are just fine. Back to the subject.

Normally, I am an overprepared sort of person. One who thinks about things way too much (including things like the overuse of italics and whether "overprepared" in the previous sentence should be hyphenated). Every time there's a hint of rain in the forecast, the umbrella travels witih me. Which is why I am decrying my present state. It should not be. It should have been foreseen. It should have....

But I like rain. I like to be out in it when I have nowhere that I have to go and look presentable at. (Again, rethinking ending the sentence with a preposition. Also rethinking the numerous sentence fragments in this post.) I am ready to splash into the great outdoors. The only problem is driving in it. Of course, this has nothing to do with the umbrella dilemma.

So I'm going. Now. Out in the rain to forage about and splash in puddles and hopefully not suck up any water into my engine. I'll see you all on the flip side. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had fun playing in the rain last night. Summer rains are nice. What were you doing at work on a Saturday?

Jana Swartwood said...

I'm trying to think of a response that doesn't make me look like a pathetic workaholic.... Honestly, I wanted to make up some time that I took off on Thursday so I wouldn't have to use vacation time. I was only there for a few hours.

It was fun playing in the rain. I took off my shoes and skipped around in the puddles. :)

Anonymous said...

hey gal. thanks for letting me know that page worked ok.

P.S. - I like your new profile pic on xanga. Great smile. :-)
You should add it to your blogspot page as well.

Later tater!