StatCounter

December 26, 2006

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes...Our Moments So Dear


Prufrock tells us that he has measured his life in coffee spoons. Jonathan Larson reminds us that each set of five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes is not just a year but a season of love. And I find that, whether intentionally or not, I have measured my own life--not in contracts, dollars, funerals, or births--but in Broadway Nights with my dearest friends from high school. You know: the ones you still talk to and not about. The ones you wait all year to see so you can catch up and make music together once more.


Like Collins, I have longed to discover something as true as this is. Our repertoire widens every year. We learn from these songs that home truly is where the heart is, that love sometimes means giving your life for someone else, that everything really is rent...and so much more.

So, my dear friends, on the eve of our 10th Anniversary Broadway Night, I thank you. The last ten years have taken us on many journeys. For the past decade, you have been one of the few constant things in my life. We lift our voices in remembrance of things past and in hope that the future holds for us many joys.

Here's to us! And here's to many more years singing together!

5 comments:

Coley said...

Speaking of Broadway Tunes, one of my gifts from Stan this year was the 1999 Revival Soundtrack of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown.

Of course, listening to it made me want to listen to Rent. (It was Anthony Rapp, I tell you!)

Someday . . . I don't know when, I don't know how, I don't know where, but someday, I'm going to be at one of those wonderful Broadway nights you've been telling me about!

"And that's my new philosophy!"

mozartmovement said...

Love the photos. Think it's been about a decade since I saw C.S.
Thanks!

Jana Swartwood said...

Probably since the quintet days, right? Good times. :)

mozartmovement said...

I believe it was precisely graduation-openhouse day. I have a oddly memorable photo of everyone looking at their watches. But yes, I think fondly of those quintet days now and again.

Mary said...

Beautifully put, my dear! :o)