StatCounter

January 07, 2007

Nerdiness

It's the first post of the new year. Surprising that it has taken a whole week, except for the fact that I haven't been doing homework, which means I've actually been on vacation: spending time with my family and friends in Michigan, reading like there's no tomorrow, and having fun (I had almost forgotten how). And a bit of work again, this week. Blogging, almost by definition, occurs for the sake of procrastination, and where there is nothing to procrastinate on, there is often no blogging.

As you can see, I am now blogging. Which implies procrastination. :)

Unlike most "new yearish" posts, I have no intention of reflecting on the past year, it's highlights and lowlights (or perhaps should I say, "lowlifes"). My reflections of this sort have already internalized and are no longer blogworthy. Instead, I would like to expound on my profound nerdiness right now...for two reasons.

First, I am currently doing homework. AND SCHOOL HAS NOT YET STARTED. Yes, friends, I am sorry to admit that I am one of those nerds who is starting her Hebrew translations early to get a jump on the semester. I've always been a good student, but this borders on the ridiculous. Will somebody please stamp NERD on my forehead and put me out of my misery???

Second, I am quite proud to reveal my stupidest writing activity to date. I'm sure nobody has noticed, but when I started this blog back in January of 2006, I decided to try an experiment in order to broaden my creativity. Thus, I determined that for each month of posting, the title would have the same number of words as the month's number. Therefore, January titles were 1 word, February titles 2 words, etc. It got a little wordy there in November and December, but I am very proud of myself for carrying the experiment an entire year (using hyphenates to my advantage, thankfully).

Would anyone like to share a personal story of his/her nerdiness to help me feel like I am not alone in my mania? :)

p.s. I am boycotting the Ohio State/Florida game tomorrow out of disgust for the stupid BCS, even though the Rose Bowl was a disaster (and yes, I can admit that). But I hope Florida wins.

8 comments:

Becky Davis said...

I sure can't "stamp" the word NERD on your forehead, but I'd love the opportunity to write it there.

Jana Swartwood said...

I have no doubt of that. Just be careful which pen you choose. Ross and Rachel taught us all a valuable lesson.... :)

Coley said...

Okay, how dumb am I? I didn't even notice the pattern. How totally cool!

So, nerdiness, eh? Well, if it's any consolation, I have been frantically checking the school's website every day since the new year to see if the syllabi for my two courses were posted so that I could get a head start on the enormous amount of reading I'll have for my English class (never as much as you-know-who, though!)

As for a story, I don't have a good one right off hand, but I'll certainly be thinking of one!

stan said...

(Open all links in a new window)

Here's but one example of my nerdiness.

That's right, I collect counties.

A few years ago, I used to collect business cards. Joined a collector's club, even. Got written up in the paper, even (but the page with the article has disappeared; this is the closest you can get).

I also used to collect train engine numbers - see an engine, write down the number. And I made a spreadsheet so all I'd have to do was highlight 'em.

I win. :)

Jana Swartwood said...

How could I have forgotten? Thank you, Stan, for making me feel much more normal. :)

Anonymous said...

I once read of a lady who used her dryer lint to mix to her paint, giving texture to her paintings. Does that count as nerd?

Jana Swartwood said...

That's just weird...though I guess it's cool if it actually worked.

Jeanine said...

Okay, so I am such an eternal student that I show up a class a day early! Always eager to learn, that's me! :)