StatCounter

January 15, 2007

Results Of An Ice Storm

Welcome to Narnia, before Father Christmas. This, my friends, is the wild winter world into which we have been thrust these last several days. The storm that began Friday and ended Sunday left us with a couple inches of solid ice on the ground.


If you look at the pictures, it looks like we simply had a snowstorm. But the whiteness on the ground, my friends, is not snow. It is sleet that has frozen so solidly that you can walk on it without even making an impression on it. (However, it is such that if you fall on it, your butt does slightly dent it.)


Earlier this afternoon, I took a walk to the nearest gas station to pick up essentials (caffeine, chocolate) since both cars are currently stuck in the frozen-shut garage. It was a bright, breathtaking day--a lovely walk. But every inch of ground I travelled was solid slipperyness. (The good news: I only fell twice.)


I quickly determined the most effective way to navigate the ice (without sliding into the street, which I figured would not have been the best plan). You see, walking slowly, even in hiking boots, leads to slipping (and sometimes, falling). The best way to travel on ice, in my opinion, is to move quickly, sort of an ice-skatey jog. Yes, stopping is still a bit of a problem, but if you're going quickly, it's a lot easier to get across streets and up inclines.


Odds are, I probably won't be going to work tomorrow, even if they're open. But I plan to keep taking pictures. It is so very lovely right now!

4 comments:

Christie said...

Great pictures! The first one is my favorite. It reminds me of that ice storm we had when we were freshman at ORU.
I can't believe that in just a few short days I will be leaving the wonderful sunny-ness (I couldn't figure out the correct spelling.) of Florida for the fridgid cold ice of the midwest. *sigh*

Coley said...

So, have you given up on the thing where the post title has the same number of words as the month it's posted in?

Unknown said...

I'm Christie's friend and I'm creeping on your blog and this post made me laugh.

Jana Swartwood said...

Glad you enjoyed it. :)